One more time, StartingVNC at boot in linux

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer "at" ncsu.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:06:09 +0000

So for xinetd I should add something like this to /etc/xinetd.d/

# default: off
#
#       server                  = /usr/bin/Xvnc

service ftp
{
        disable                 = no
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = nobody
        server                  = /usr/bin/Xvnc
        server_args             = -inetd -geometry 640x480 -depth 8
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
}

Does this look right?

barnowl "at" uronramp.net wrote:

> Instead of psting this in about 4 threads, I will answer teh question about load vnc at boot the VNC standard way. Why do I call it the VNC standard way? Because this the method built in to the program. The -inetd option allows you configure inetd/xinetd to run VNC at boot. The big advantage here is that it also allows for remote login of ANY account on the server.
>
> From the orignal website of  iXVNC:
> "New entries are required in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> /etc/services
>
> In this file the new services must be defined: service-name port-number/protocol . In our case we want to give users several options about geometry's and depths so my file has this lines (you may want just one):
>
> vnc-640x480x8   5950/tcp
> vnc-800x600x8   5951/tcp
> vnc-800x600x16  5952/tcp
>
> On the client side this means displays :50 :51 and :52. The display number used by Xvnc won't be the same; with -inetd option an available display number will be searched and used.
> /etc/inetd.conf
>
> In this file you must add the lines to launch Xvnc, in my case the basic options are:
>
> vnc-640x480x8   stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 640x480 -depth 8
> vnc-800x600x8   stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 8
> vnc-800x600x16  stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16
>
> You must add other command line options required for your local configuration, namely -fp.
>
> As you can see Xvnc will run as nobody (check if that's ok for your local configuration). Any number of clients may connect to :50 :51 or :52, inetd will launch a Xvnc for each. You may use any Xvnc options (some systems may restrict the number of command args in inetd.conf) but don't forget -inetd -broadcast -once, of course -broadcast can be replaced by -query {hostname}.
>
> After changing these files you must send a HUP signal to inetd process (or reboot)."
>
> xinetd works much the same. Except that each option is on its own line. this should at least get most ppl up and running.
>
> Evan Hisey
>
> P.S.  KDE sometimes has trouble running in multiple instances as the same user. Gnome has a habit of being off color.

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5
Systems Programmer Administrator I
NC State University, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Extension and Administrative Technology Services
Phone: (919) 515-3609