VNC and Apache Reverse Proxy

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:56:38 +0000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:11:03AM -0500, Christopher Tesla wrote:

> And presto I get the VNC login window!  I enter the password for the server
> into the field and click OK.  The browser status window shows "Applet
> vncviewer running", but nothing happens.  After nearly two minutes I finally
> get an error in the browser window that says "java.net.SocketException: Socket
> closed".  The Java Console gives me this:

<excellent debug info snipped>

> Notice the lack of any mention of vncviewer.class!  Something is happening
> with the vncviewer.jar file and I have no clue what it could be.

Actually, vncviewer.class is inside vncviewer.jar, which is a Java
archive.  No worries.

> Does anybody know where I should go from here?  Is this a simple matter of
> pointing the requests for the various .jar and .class files to the proper
> place, or is something more serious happening?  When exactly does the shift
> from port 5800 to 5900 happen?  That may be the key to getting this to work.

Yes, you are getting exactly to the point (after typing in the username
and password) where it is trying to connect to port 5900.  My last
message applies at this point.  The port 5900 connection is the actual
vnc connection (RFB protocol) while the port 5800 connection is HTTP to
get the web page and java applet.  I didn't realize from your first
message that you hadn't even gotten this far, but your good debugging
work allowed you to get over your first hurdle.

If the configuration info in your first message is still true, you have
apache listening to 5900, so the applet is trying to make an RFB
connection and is getting HTTP in response.  Since HTTP begins with the
server waiting for the client to send a request and RFB begins with the
client waiting for the server to report a version number, you're getting
zero bytes transmitted and until apache finally times out.  That's why
you get the "java.net.SocketException: Socket closed" after a timeout
period.

At this point you need to try one of the methods in my last message,
unless someone has a better idea (which would be nice).

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/