One more time, StartingVNC at boot in linux

RCayton@horine.com RCayton "at" horine.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:34:33 +0000

The very last line of the xinetd FAQ says that this is the most common
problem.

you need to read up on getting XDMCP running correctly.
namely the xdm.conf file and the gdm.conf

Ryan Cayton
Technical Analyst
Horine and Associates, LLC.

                    "David Colliver"
                    <david.colliver "at" revilloc       To:     <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
                    .com>                          cc:
                    Sent by:                       Subject:     Re: One more time, StartingVNC at boot in linux
                    owner-vnc-list "at" uk.resear
                    ch.att.com

                    01/11/2002 07:39 AM
                    Please respond to
                    vnc-list

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this. I have done the suggested items and now can
connect, except, I have a grey screen with a cross on it. Nothing else. no
left,middle or right click available.

I would like to at least have a login screen.

When I have nobody in the inetd.conf, is that just a text value? (The value
came on the title of the VNC window). I changed this to a logon name, but
it
still doesn't get my desktop.

Another question, I assume everyone will have the same VNC  login password
just to connect to the remote VNC. Is there anyway to configure this to use
different passwords. This isn't essential to me, but would be nice.

It seems like when you play with things on Linux, you need a lot of
patience. I would like to see Linux as a desktop operating system, but
until
the configuration issues are made easier, I don't think it is likely to
happen. Only people with knowledge of computer systems and patience, and
knowledge of where to get help can really use Linux.

Regards.
David Colliver.
~~
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Collectible dolls from http://www.collectorsdolls.com
Web design? http://www.revilloc.com is the answer.
Tips, tricks and articles for programmers of all languages on
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com
Planning a wedding? http://www.bmcweddings.com
Advertise your car for free on http://www.drivingseat.com