VNC Screen Refresh Speeds

Chris Teeder cteeder "at" souris.demon.co.uk
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:17:57 +0000

I have been trying to connect to a Windows 2000 desktop computer from a
Compaq iPaq pocket PC using WinVNC via an 11Mbps wireless network
connection.

The connection itself seems to work but I have a problem with the screen
refresh speed on the pocket PC. For example, when I remotely access a
drop-down menu on the host machine it takes about 5 seconds for the
pocket PC to update its display.

I have tried experimenting with all of the various settings on both the
VNC server and viewer including making changes to the VNC server
registry settings and screen colour and pixel resolutions. Nothing I try
seems to bring the screen refresh speed up to an acceptable rate for the
application I wish to use it for.

Does anybody know if there is anything else I could try which may give a
significant increase to the refresh rate?

Is it possible to set the WinVNC server up so that it continually
transmits a full screen refresh?

Are there any WinVNC server routines which interface directly into the
screen drivers of the Windows operating system?
Chris Teeder

Souris Systems

Telephone: +44 (0)1702 207608
   Mobile: +44 (0)7768 310510