One more time, StartingVNC at boot in linux

barnowl@uronramp.net barnowl "at" uronramp.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 05:27:13 +0000

Instead of psting this in about 4 threads, I will answer teh question about load vnc at boot the VNC standard way. Why do I call it the VNC standard way? Because this the method built in to the program. The -inetd option allows you configure inetd/xinetd to run VNC at boot. The big advantage here is that it also allows for remote login of ANY account on the server.

>From the orignal website of  iXVNC:
"New entries are required in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.

/etc/services

In this file the new services must be defined: service-name port-number/protocol . In our case we want to give users several options about geometry's and depths so my file has this lines (you may want just one):

vnc-640x480x8	5950/tcp
vnc-800x600x8	5951/tcp
vnc-800x600x16	5952/tcp

On the client side this means displays :50 :51 and :52. The display number used by Xvnc won't be the same; with -inetd option an available display number will be searched and used.
/etc/inetd.conf

In this file you must add the lines to launch Xvnc, in my case the basic options are:

vnc-640x480x8	stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 640x480 -depth 8
vnc-800x600x8	stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 8
vnc-800x600x16	stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16

You must add other command line options required for your local configuration, namely -fp.

As you can see Xvnc will run as nobody (check if that's ok for your local configuration). Any number of clients may connect to :50 :51 or :52, inetd will launch a Xvnc for each. You may use any Xvnc options (some systems may restrict the number of command args in inetd.conf) but don't forget -inetd -broadcast -once, of course -broadcast can be replaced by -query {hostname}.

After changing these files you must send a HUP signal to inetd process (or reboot)."

xinetd works much the same. Except that each option is on its own line. this should at least get most ppl up and running.

Evan Hisey

P.S.  KDE sometimes has trouble running in multiple instances as the same user. Gnome has a habit of being off color.