Offspring of VNC?

Andrew Krug akrug "at" amcp.org
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:35:35 +0000

Other offspring? What are the other spin offs of VNC? We have TightVNC, and
TridiaVNC. Anything else?

Andrew Krug, MCP
IT Manager
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
100 North Pitt Street
Suite 400
Alexandria, VA 22314
P:703.683.8416
F:703.683.8417
E:akrug "at" amcp.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Michael Milette
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 3:56 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: TightVNC

If you want to use it with Win9x/ME over a slow modem connection, I highly
recommend TightVNC. Besides the compression, the latest release of TightVNC
includes a bug fix which eliminates the drain and potential crashing of the
VNC server during the initial transfer of the desktop image. After all,
there is little point in crashing the machine you are trying to help.

Other than that, there are a few other enhancements included in TightVNC
which are not part of the basic WinVNC.

Development and maintenance of TightVNC also appears to more active these
days so bug fixes are more likely to be included in it although this could
change at any time (who knows what those guys are up to).

So why use AT&T's VNC? The only reason that I can think of only affects you
if you want to use it on a platform that is not supported. VNC is available
for more platforms than any of its offsprings.

Don't forget to also consider TridiaVNC (http://www.tridiavnc.com/) if you
are looking for something with official support. It has a similar set of
features (if not more) to those included in TightVNC. If you run into any
problems, you have the comfort of knowing you have someplace to call to get
immediate help  in addition to discussion forums like this one.

                                 Michael Milette