AW: Newbie Problem

NiteFlame niteflame "at" t-online.de
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:22:32 +0000

> When you have a VNC server running on a system which support
> Java, it will actually run on 2 ports.
>
> The Java/web browser accessible service is running on 5800+
> your display number, the "WinVNC" service is running on 5900+ the
> display number.  So if you left the server's setting for
> display at "0", you can use either 5800 or 5900.

I've set up the router to forward either port 5800 or 5900 to the local
ip adress of the vnc server, but somehow I can only connect from another
machine when using the internal ip adress.

> TO test the remote, I would try forwarding 5900 also and then
> attempt to access it remotely using the vncviewer applet.  I've had
> occasional problems with the Java viewer from XP clients even
> when the Java Virtual Machine is installed correctly.
>
> Other info... The local server is started manually apparently
> from the way you describe it. Is that system the XP one? or is it the
> client system that is running XP?

Both machines are running XP Pro. I've tried the viewer application and
the java applet, but both gave back a timeout message. I think I should
call the developer of the router application. Thank You very much for
helping!

Yours,
Markus