Newbie Problem

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:49:18 +0000

It depends on what you're using.

When you have a VNC server running on a system which support Java, it will actually run on 2 ports.

The Java/web browser accessible service is running on 5800+ your display number, the "WinVNC" service is running on 5900+ the
display number.  So if you left the server's setting for display at "0", you can use either 5800 or 5900.

TO test the remote, I would try forwarding 5900 also and then attempt to access it remotely using the vncviewer applet.  I've had
occasional problems with the Java viewer from XP clients even when the Java Virtual Machine is installed correctly.

Other info... The local server is started manually apparently from the way you describe it. Is that system the XP one? or is it the
client system that is running XP?

----- Original Message -----
From: "NiteFlame" <niteflame "at" t-online.de>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Wednesday/2002 January 09 14:13
Subject: AW: Newbie Problem

: Well, i wasn't clear about the port because the documentation says 5800+
: display and 5900+ display at different places. I've tried both settings
: and the 5800+ version seems to be correct because on 5900+ nothing
: happens.
:
: > -----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
: > Von: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
: > [mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com] Im Auftrag von
: > RCayton "at" horine.com
: > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2002 19:40
: > An: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
: > Betreff: Re: Newbie Problem
: >
: >
: > port 5900 would be a good start
: >
: >
: > Ryan Cayton
: > Technical Analyst
: > Horine and Associates, LLC.
: > To unsubscribe, mail majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com with the line:
: > 'unsubscribe vnc-list' in the message BODY
: > See also: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html