Send Keystrokes with VNC

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:32:17 +0000

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:37:35PM -0600, Floyd Russell wrote:
> I tried rfbplaymacro and found it tedious to work with at best.
<snip>
> If anyone has some good examples of rfbplaymacro I would be willing to
> re-investigate it.

I've been doing this to create a script:

  rfbproxy -r --type=events --server=foo:0 script.rfb
  vncviewer :10

  I interact with vncviewer and rfbproxy records all the mouse and
  keyboard events.

To replay the script:

  cat script.rfb | rfbplaymacro foo:0

I often watch the script replay with:

  vncviewer -viewonly foo:0

It works great for me and is quite easy.  The only problem I've run into
is an apparent bug in rfbproxy which drops the letter "t" from its
output.  I plan on submitting a bug report to the author as soon as I've
had a chance to look at the source.  Meanwhile this gets me by:

  perl -pi -e 's/press  delay/press t delay/' script.rfb

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/