Configuration questions

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer "at" ncsu.edu
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:12:47 +0000

I'm really sorry that I didn't get this right the first time.  I am
coming from a Novell background and I saw the vncserver file in the
/etc/init.d directory and didn't realize that I needed create a symbolic
link to it in /etc/rc3.d/.  When I restarted the server with this link
in place, I could not
log in at the console when XDM started.  When I removed the link, I
could log in just fine.  In both cases, I could login fine when (via
XDMCP) from the diskless xterm that I am testing with.  I guess I missed
another step in there.  Really, I just want VNC to start automatically
and I would like for half a dozen users to have access to it.

My other problem is that if I logon and start vncserver from the console
prompt (or from rc.local when I tried it there) it seemed to leave
"pooplets" behind in the /tmp/.X11-unix directory.  There is a K file in
the /etc/rc3.d directory so I think that it should be shutting down but
apparently it is not.

Oh, this is an RH 7.2 installation and I am using the VNC that came with
that.

ScanMan wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 06:35, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> > Since I know my system uses xintetd to start services and I wouldl ike
> > to run VNC as a service that starts on reboot, I thought perhaps I
> > needed to to something in there.
>
> Do you want to run a desktop server, where each incoming connection
> generates a new desktop, and that desktop disappears upon disconnection,
> or do you want each user to have a persistent desktop where they can
> connect and disconnect at will?

Janyne Kizer