VNC and XDM

Woody Marvel wmarvel "at" us.ibm.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:51:42 +0000

Could you elaborate on setup or direct us to a HOWTO?
Thanks.

Sincerely,    William(Woody) Marvel
Beaverton, OR
wmarvel.us.ibm.com

                      barnowl "at" uronramp.net
                      Sent by:                       To:       vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
                      owner-vnc-list "at" uk.resea        cc:
                      rch.att.com                    Subject:  Re: VNC and XDM

                      01/07/2002 10:43 PM
                      Please respond to
                      vnc-list

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:00:25 -0600
Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill "at" OARcorp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use VNC as an alternative to PC Xterminal software
> to access our GNU/Linux box.  I would like to use XDM to login
> and get a fresh desktop like using XDM/Xterm would.  I would
> really appreciate some advice on getting this setup.  I managed
> to connect to vnc from my client so I think that much works
> in a "regular" fashion.  Now I want to move on to xdm/vnc to
> more properly support multiple users.
>
> If this is not a good setup, please let me know.  I have seen
> comments which lead me to wonder if this is really a good mode
> to use VNC in.
>
> FYI the host I am trying first is RedHat 7.x and uses xinetd.
> I am on a local network behind a firewall so do not have to use ssh.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I would say the answer here is Maybe. It is user dependent.If you only have
a few user then it should be fine.I actually use Vnc this way but I only
have a few user that need access.  Also in stead of the normal RH setup use
-inetd

Evan