Enable VNC on Redhat

barnowl@uronramp.net barnowl "at" uronramp.net
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 07:49:37 +0000

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:04:48 +0800
"Daniel Tan" <danieltan "at" shopnsave.com.sg> wrote:

> GlacierHi all,
>         default full instllation of Redhat 7.0 comes with Vnc. I can start
> it and then enter password. But when i enter the server through Vnc viewer
> from Windows, i can only see the user "at" server prompt. How to enter to Gnome
> desktop? the xstartup file i can see is using twm.For Gnome, what should i
> enter? and how to define which user to enter as? when i type vncserver, the
> number will increase. (eg. servername:1,servername:2) how to fix the
> number??
>
> thanks...i am a newbie in redhat

Step one is.pardon teh elitism here, RTFM. unless using -xinetd you are already loged in as teh user that started teh VNC server(-inetd use the normal .xinitrc, by the way). VNC under normal usage runs a custom xinitrc. It should be in ~/.vnc directory called xstartup.replace 'twm &' with 'gnome-session &'.
Gnome with lot of Eye candy can get slow over VNC
Also tends to look abit green

Evan