VNC and XDM

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill "at" OARcorp.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:06:07 +0000

Hi,

I want to use VNC as an alternative to PC Xterminal software
to access our GNU/Linux box.  I would like to use XDM to login
and get a fresh desktop like using XDM/Xterm would.  I would
really appreciate some advice on getting this setup.  I managed
to connect to vnc from my client so I think that much works
in a "regular" fashion.  Now I want to move on to xdm/vnc to
more properly support multiple users.

If this is not a good setup, please let me know.  I have seen
comments which lead me to wonder if this is really a good mode
to use VNC in.

FYI the host I am trying first is RedHat 7.x and uses xinetd.
I am on a local network behind a firewall so do not have to use ssh.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

joel "at" OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
   Support Available             (256) 722-9985