Changing the Session Password

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 02:27:57 +0000

I think this depends on the version of Linux/Unix to a great extent (I assume you are referring to a *nix VNC server).

If that is the case - have you rebooted the system yet? If I recall correctly, the password is normally cached by inetd or whatever
process starts VNC; a reboot or service restart should do it *if* it's taking the password change from vncpasswd.

-What do you mean by "it doesn't like that.."?  Just that id apparently doesn't work, or do you get an error?

One other thing you may note - some configurations of VNC may automatically grab a password from the user account *or* from one
specified at boot time - in the latter case you will see it pause during the boot process and wait for a VNC password to be entered.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ogier" <paul_ogier "at" hotmail.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Monday/2002 January 07 08:10
Subject: Changing the Session Password

: Hi there,
:
: I've not been able to change the session password for my VNCViewer. I've
: gone into the directory and tried vncpasswd, but it doesn't like that. I've
: also tried finding some kind of configuration file, but to no avail. Does
: anybody know of another way to change the password ?
:
: Desperately seeking answers,
:
: Paul