Windows layer storage/transmission. [OT]

Piotr Zielenkiewicz maciekz "at" poczta.ibb.waw.pl
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 08:39:36 +0000

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 andreas.berglund "at" home.se wrote:

> David Brodbeck wrote:

> > But there are a few areas that are lacking.
> >

> > - CAD software.  The company I work for utterly relies on AutoCAD.  There's
> > no version of
>
> It really depends on what kind of cad work you want to do, but I found
> several alternatives for mechanical enginering, architectural cad, IC
> cad and so on..
>
> >   AutoCAD for Linux.  There's a LinuxCAD program that claims to be similar
> > to AutoCAD, but
> >   have you seen the screen shots?  They're imitating the DOS version, not
> > the Windows
> >   versions that came out in the last few years.  There aren't even any
> > toolbars.  The
> >   CAD group would mutiny if I tried to make them use that.
> > - Good photo editing software.  GIMP can do nearly everything Photoshop can,
> > granted, but the user interface is an utter train wreck.
>
> That is of course a matter of opinion, I myself don't like the UI of
> photoshop very much.
If you really need that software, ftom that or other reasons (you like
GUI, you need that forma etc.) you can use Wine and run Windows versions.
I've tried it end even MS(!) Excel works(they are some problems with
fonts, but it's usable).