Viewer Authentication Failed/Linux to NT

Lloyd_Ardoin@mazzios.com Lloyd_Ardoin "at" mazzios.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 21:20:18 +0000

I have searched the archives and found one mention of my problem but the
solution doesn't seem to work for me. I have VNC server running on a NT
4.0 SP3 box as a service. I can successfully connect to it withe a viewer
running on my Notebook that has WIN2KPro. When I try and connect from my
RedHat 7.2 box with the viewer I get a password prompt and type in the
same password as I do on my Notebook and then I get the 'Authentication
Failed' message on the Linux box. I saw a message with this same situation
and a recommendation of adding a  REG entry to
HKLM\Software\ORL\VNC3\AuthHosts with a value of either a subnet
(-:+192.168.1) or host(s). I didn't really understand how this would fix
the problem since I am connecting to the server and getting a prompt. I
may not fully understand my problem and therefore don't make a connection
with the recommendation. If anyone can point me in the right direction
here I will be appreciated.