Is there a way to use VNC on port 21

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 21:11:59 +0000

duh - I didn't even think about tunnelling.

As a matter of fact, the beauty of what Micahel says is that you also (of course) get significantly improved security since you
would be using ssh.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Ossmann" <michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Friday/2002 January 04 13:03
Subject: Re: Is there a way to use VNC on port 21

: On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:16:29PM -0000, Darren Rainer wrote:
: > Hi, im afraid im not very technically minded with this. I used to have a
: > connection between work and home with PC Anywhere. I then tried VNC and was
: > amazed how much faster it was. Recently our Company have put a proxy server
: > on the network which blocks all ports except port 21. Is there a way to get
: > VNC to work on this port. If there is do I have to change the setup at both
: > ends. Sorry for my ignorance.
:
: You could run ssh on port 21 and tunnel VNC through ssh.  Zebedee would
: probably work also, but I don't know it as well.  There is a document on
: AT&T's VNC site about this kind of tunnel.
:
: --
: Mike Ossmann, Tarantella/UNIX Engineer/Instructor
: Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/