IP filter with linux VNCserver

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:22:20 +0000

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:59:46PM +0100, Cherry wrote:

> How can I allow some IPs and deny all other IPs to connect
> to my vnc server?
>
> I found an article on VNC homepage but the link was broken.
>
> Perhaps (I think) it could be configured with a firewall but I'm
> a linux beginner soI can't do it.

You should be able to use either tcp wrappers, ipchains, or iptables.
Plenty of documentation is available online:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/howto/iptables-HOWTO.html

If you are using a very recent version of Linux, then iptables would
probably be the preferred method.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/