Is there a way to use VNC on port 21

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:04:28 +0000

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:16:29PM -0000, Darren Rainer wrote:
> Hi, im afraid im not very technically minded with this. I used to have a
> connection between work and home with PC Anywhere. I then tried VNC and was
> amazed how much faster it was. Recently our Company have put a proxy server
> on the network which blocks all ports except port 21. Is there a way to get
> VNC to work on this port. If there is do I have to change the setup at both
> ends. Sorry for my ignorance.

You could run ssh on port 21 and tunnel VNC through ssh.  Zebedee would
probably work also, but I don't know it as well.  There is a document on
AT&T's VNC site about this kind of tunnel.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/