Is there a way to use VNC on port 21

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 16:46:59 +0000

Not very easily, unfortunately - In fact, if I'm not mistaken it would take  a recompile, and most likely would not work anyway
since you probably have fake internal addresses...

Your best bet would likely be to talk to your local admins about it - and you can use any port from 5900-5999 specifically.

If they do allow pcAnywhere through still, you might also want to fall back to that; it sounds like you hacve a situation where the
pcA encoding is inferior, but this trick may help if you haven't done it already.

Go into the connection settings for your pcAnywhere client, and lower the color scale to 16 colors.  It will be dirty, but fast.

Best spot to start, though, is finding out what your admins still allow coming in to the company.  If you don't have a public IP or
redirection, or if they are set to reject incoming connections, you won't be able to do anything without their help anyway.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Rainer" <darren.rainer "at" eyretel.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Friday/2002 January 04 10:16
Subject: Is there a way to use VNC on port 21

: Hi, im afraid im not very technically minded with this. I used to have a
: connection between work and home with PC Anywhere. I then tried VNC and was
: amazed how much faster it was. Recently our Company have put a proxy server
: on the network which blocks all ports except port 21. Is there a way to get
: VNC to work on this port. If there is do I have to change the setup at both
: ends. Sorry for my ignorance.
: Regards
: Darren Rainer
:
:
: This email and any files transmitted with it contains proprietary information which may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
If you are not the named addressee and intended recipient of this email, please notify the author by replying to this email and then
deleting it from your system.  The views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of Eyretel plc (including its
subsidiaries and/or group companies).  This email does not constitute either an offer or acceptance of any contractually binding
agreement.
: http://www.eyretel.com