Windows layer storage/transmission. [OT]

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:57:01 +0000

Well, first let me state that I'm not talking about ease of installation
here.  On a workstation OS, I don't care if individual users can install
drivers or new software.  (In fact, it makes my life easier if they can't.
;) )  And if anything Linux would be less hardware dependent than NT -- I
could create a kernel with drivers for all our hardware and it'd figure out
the individual machines on its own.  But there are a few areas that are
lacking.

- Accounting software.  Ever seen any for Linux?
- CAD software.  The company I work for utterly relies on AutoCAD.  There's
no version of
  AutoCAD for Linux.  There's a LinuxCAD program that claims to be similar
to AutoCAD, but
  have you seen the screen shots?  They're imitating the DOS version, not
the Windows
  versions that came out in the last few years.  There aren't even any
toolbars.  The
  CAD group would mutiny if I tried to make them use that.
- Good photo editing software.  GIMP can do nearly everything Photoshop can,
granted, but
  the user interface is an utter train wreck.

I've looked at using it as a desktop OS for people who don't need software
in any of the above categories, and it's almost suitable,  but that's a
relatively small number of our users.  We *are* looking at using it for an
embedded touchscreen application some time in the near future, though.
(Currently the application is running on (shudder) Windows 95.)