Windows layer storage/transmission (off topic)

Richard Harris richard.harris "at" nottscc.gov.uk
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:38:36 +0000

This isn't about VNC, so please excuse me.

> Please explain what areas are lacking software for Linux.

Personally, I'd love the idea of a Linux desktop across the workplace, but sadly
it's still a little way off. Who wouldn't like a low cost/free OS that's robust, stable
and IMO requires less resources to do the same functions as other leading
operating systems. NT file sharing under Samba? You can't beat it!!

As for areas that are a little lacking.... well, installing software for one. Ok, I
*know* RPMs and makefile isn't that complicated, but for most users (like my
father-in-law and 90% of my workplace) unless they see setup.exe that does
everything for them, they're not interested.

Drivers can give you a bit of fun, but it has got a lot better in the last two or
three releases.

On the flip side, the Windows OS does have a few things going for it and a
number of features that are less than desirable (we can all name our favourite
top ten, I'm sure). NT 4 workstation was pretty good, but then in 2000 they
sucumbed to marketting and preloaded IE and Outlook Express + Netmeeting.
That's fine unless your enterprise doesn't use OE and just maybe you don't
want shell intergration (like on a server!!). Come back customisation and free
choice!!

> I give it another year until we have one..

IMO, Linux is *almost* there, but until it becomes as easy for the home user as
Windows, it will be an uphill struggle to get it adopted. Maybe in the next year
or two it'll get there, but for the home market one of the biggest stumbling
blocks is running games. Can you put the latest directx based PC game in your
Linux box and run is straight away? When that happens and you don't need to
know any magic, Linux will be there.

A Finnish council are looking to replace all their Windows systems with Linux
and this will be a very interesting pilot. I'm also wondering if Microsoft have
gone too far with their new licencing system. Time will tell.

Later,
Richard