Windows layer storage/transmission.

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 00:25:26 +0000

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:58:12AM -0600, ScanMan wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 03:55, A friend wrote:
> > Why not, for the server, for the client it's no problem for sure. Is
> > it not possible to capture the image from within a single window
> > within MS-Windows?  I think it is, since Alt-PrintScreen does the
> > same thing. Monitoring window creation/deletion must be possible
> > too.
>
> Hmmm, yes, I didn't think of that. However, wouldn't a global pixmap
> cache solve the same problem in a more general way? For example, the
> server would scan the screen for patterns that tend to repeat, and
> then send them to the client only once, thereafter sending only a
> reference number. Things like font characters, window borders,
> buttons, icons, etc. could then all be saved at the client, and the
> server would only send their arrangement.

Having font characters cached could also allow a reduction of percieved
latency while typing by having the viewer guess what to display before
it actually gets a screen update.  Citrix does this, and it is pretty
cool.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/