"5" became "backspace" on linux xvnc connection

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:35:05 +0000

This is a problem with the Linux key mappings.  Do a search of the mailing
list archives and you should turn up the fix.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Luk [mailto:bbwan "at" netvigator.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:29 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: "5" became "backspace" on linux xvnc connection

hi,

as title. i work with vnc a few years on some windows machines. then,
tonight i want to try it on my linux machine. binary copy
"vnc-3.3.3r2_x86_linux_2.0.tgz" was installed and workable. after a
while of testing on Xvnc with different desktop, i found that while i
press "5" on the top row of my client's keyboard during connection, it
appear to be an "backspace" under vnc connection. have somebody meet
this before? any way i can identity if it is an vnc problem or not? here
is my configuration:

xvnc server:
slackware linux 8.0 based copies with kernel 2.4.9 upgraded
vnc 3.3.3r2 binary
intel x86 based machine, pentium 233 mmx over drive
no previous X server set up before

windows client:
winodws 98
vncviewer 3.3.3r9