Windows layer storage/transmission.

A friend friend "at" chello.nl
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:29:23 +0000

Don't know if this item has come up yet, but it seems to me that only one
graphical buffer is kept and transmitted by VNC. Since most (if not all) OSses
are window based, is it not more efficient to keep (and send) a separate
buffer for each window that is opened. So when switching, closing or moving a
window the unterlying data is still available at client level in memory, and
does not have to be re-transmitted. This will cost some extra memory and
initial loading may take a little longer, but I think that it will make a
significant improvement on slow connections where more than one window is
used.

Greetings,
Marcel Stikkelman.