TightVNC

Michael Milette tng "at" cyberus.ca
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 01:08:13 +0000

 From the TightVNC web site ( http://www.tightvnc.com/ ):

=================

TightVNC Features

Local cursor handling. Cursor movements do not generate screen updates any
more, remote cursor movements are processed locally by the viewer, so you
do not see remote cursor pointer moving too slow behind the local cursor.

Efficient compression algorithms. New Tight encoding is optimized for slow
and medium-speed connections and thus generates much less traffic as
compared to traditional VNC encodings. At the same time, TightVNC supports
all the standard VNC encodings, so it can be easily configured to operate
efficiently in fast network environments too.

Configurable compression levels. You can choose any appropriate level of
compromise between compression ratios and coding speed, depending on the
your connection speed and processor power.
Optional JPEG compression. If you don't care too much about perfect image
quality, you can enable JPEG coder which would compress color-rich screen
areas much more efficiently (and image quality level is configurable too).

Web browser access. TightVNC includes greatly improved Java viewer with
full support for Tight encoding, local cursor feature, 24-bit color mode,
and more. The Java viewer applet can be accessed via built-in HTTP server
as in the standard VNC.

Operating under Unix and Windows. All new features listed above are
available in both Unix and Win32 versions of TightVNC.

Advanced Properties dialog in WinVNC. Unlike the standard VNC, TightVNC
gives you a possibility to set a number of advanced settings directly from
the WinVNC GUI, and to apply changed settings immediately. There is no need
to launch regedit to set query options, connection priority, to allow
loopback connections, disable HTTP server etc.

Automatic SSH tunneling on Unix. Unix version of TightVNC viewer can tunnel
connections via SSH automatically using local SSH or OpenSSH client
installation.

And more. A number of other improvements, performance optimizations and
bugfixes.

=================

Personally, I have found it to be much more stable, especially when used on
Windows 9x/ME systems. The stalk WinVNC has a flaw that causes it to eat up
system resources during the initial connection over a slow connection such
as dial-up modem. In this situation, chances are your PC will run out of
system resources and crash before the initial connection has been
established. That was enough for me to switch over to TightVNC and I highly
recommend it to anyone considering VNC. The developer, Constantin
Kaplinsky, is also actively developping TightVNC which means that if you
actually uncover a bug in the software, chances are Constantin will try to
fix it in his next release. WinVNC development appears to be currently on
hold as there hasn't been a new release in over two years.

Disadvantages of TightVNC vs VNC? Probably the support for operating other
than Unix, Windows and Java. The documentation is also incomplete though
you can cetainly use AT&T's VNC docs for most things. I think it's hard to
find reasons why anyone would consider VNC over TightVNC at this point in
time. Perhaps one day when VNC development resumes things will change but
for now, I would suggest you consider TightVNC.

                                 Michael Milette