Why doesn't xstartup get read?

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:22:03 +0000

Are you starting Xvnc or vncserver. Vncserver requires perl as it is a perl
script and will read and execute the contents of xstartup. If you are using
Xvnc then you should be using the -query option to connect to the xdm.

Please tell us how you are starting the vnc server (script inetd???).
include the platform and patch level.

Thank you

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Jim Lynch
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 1:37 PM
To: vnc list
Subject: Why doesn't xstartup get read?

I'm reading the FAQ and it says, "The window manager is started by the
~/.vnc/xstartup script."  No matter what I put in that file, it still
goes to my ~/.xsession file and uses it.  Nothing from xstartup is
used.  I suspect it isn't even being read.

ls -l
total 16
-rw-r--r--    1 jwl      jwl           996 Sep 27 13:19 chinaberry:1.log
-rw-r--r--    1 jwl      jwl             6 Sep 27 13:17 chinaberry:1.pid
-rw-------    1 jwl      jwl             8 Dec 28  2000 passwd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 jwl      jwl           180 Sep 27 13:16 xstartup

Anyone know what's going on? Nothing shows up in the log that gives me a
clue. Version 3.3.3 vncserver, I think.

Thanks,
Jim.