VNC Cursor Keys Problem

Dave Howarter dhowarter "at" titan.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:54:43 +0000

I just started using VNC and it has a lot of advantages for the remote
monitoring of computers that I need to do.  However, I have one
problem.  With two of the programs that I am using, when I am running the
Remote Viewer the cursor keys (Page-up, Page-down, up/down/left/right
arrows) do not move the cursor in the window.  With some programs they work
but with others they do not.  In all cases I am running inside a window,
not maximized.

The two programs that do not work for are:

1. I am using pcAnywhere on the VNC-server machine to connect via an RS-232
cable to a third computer that is running entirely under DOS.  If I use
pcAnywhere to access the VNC-server machine, I can then set up another
pcAnywhere session on that machine and control a program on the third
machine.  However, if I use VNC to access the VNC-server machine and try to
do the same, pcAnywhere starts up on the VNC-server machine and connects
with the third machine, but the cursor keys on my remote computer do not
cause the expected movement on the third machine.

2. The problem is similar if I run a Telnet session on the VNC-server
machine.  One third party Telnet program sets up, but the cursor keys don't
move the cursor around on the telnet session.  However, if I start Telnet
from a DOS prompt, I get a different version of Telnet and then the cursor
keys work.  (One obvious solution is to start Telnet from DOS, but I still
have problem #1 above which I don't have a work-around for.).

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Dave Howarter
Titan Wireless
San Diego, Ca.