Changing negative port number to VNC server

John Roland Elliott John_Roland_Elliott "at" Hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:09:46 +0000

First of all, the big number is right:

2^32 - 5900 + 21 = 4294961417

Second, to my surprise, the VNC server control panel would not accept it for
me either; it behaved just like you said.

Using regedit, you can enter the port number directly without any of the
arithmetic. The keys/values you want are:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3]
"AutoPortSelect"=dword:00000000
"PortNumber"=dword:00000015

The PortNumber value, 15, is hexadecimal for 21 which you can enter as 21
when you use regedit. As a sanity check, after you enter these, you will see
that the VNC server properties show 4294961417 for the display number.

Cheers,
JRE