How Close can XVNC get to WinVNC

Suresh Mahalingam msuresh_2001 "at" yahoo.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:13:34 +0000

--- Barn Owl <barnowl "at" uronramp.net> wrote:
> Hate to be obtuse but what exactly are you trying to
> get it to do?
>
> Evan

  I would like to remotely display the screen of my
  solaris work-station without causing any changes
  to the color or behavior of the existing screen
  display which is by CDE window manager except having
  to start the window manager manually.

  This is the behavior of WinVNC. On UNIX environments
  the XVnc server actss as a separate display
  independent of the existing screen display.
  The solution is to run Xvnc in shared mode so that
  many clients can view the same screen and to
  start vncclient instead of the window manager for
  the regular screen display of the machine.

  This works but affects the regular screen display
  which I have noted below. I was trying to get
  some fixes for the display problems through this
  mailing list.

Suresh.