instead of using a KVM switch box.. suggestions

Ceri Hankey ccah "at" thegreen.co.uk
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:20:00 +0000

I have two systems sharing one screen and one of the systems no longer halts
on 'No Keyboard found error' in the power-on diags (It is a Celeron based
mother board). As result Windows 2000 boots up fine, BUT... when I get to
log in (if I forget to swithc over to the W2K system during startup), I have
NO KEB or MOUSE input on the system. Luckily VNC (started as a service)
gives me KB and Mouse input and I can restart teh system without hitting the
reset button!

So... try disabling 'Halt on all errors' in your mother board's start-up
diagnostic procedure in the BIOS) but FIRST ensure that your vncserver comes
up on win2000 - dont know about win95/98! To do this hit, (or keep your
finger on) the DEL or ESC key the  instant you swicth on until the BIOS
configuration screen comes on. On 850MHz cpu's you really have to keep the
finger on the key - just hitting does not work!

Good luck