Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Dave Warren maillist "at"
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:39:20 +0000

At 05:45 AM 9/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> > Nope, PCAnywhere advertises that it's running.  I loaded it up on my cable
> > modem, and immediately saw a couple people in my node running PCAnywhere,
> > one without a password.  Handy feature.
>Handy for who?  A hacker?  ;-)  That's the last thing I want my system
>to do.  I don't want it to advertise its existence.  I want it to

That's my point exactly.  Handy, but not for the end user.

>See my earlier post about *nix v. win software models.  Exactly my
>point; PCAnywhere is easier to use but a security risk; VNC is more
>difficult to set up if you include the "properly configured DNS"

I guess I count properly configuring your network and DNS as part of the
network design and OS install, not on any specific application.  My mail
server doesn't like operating without DNS either.

Dave Warren, administrator
 Email:  dave.warren "at"
to majordomo "at"
See also: