Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Dave Warren maillist "at" devilsplayground.net
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:39:20 +0000

At 05:45 AM 9/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> > Nope, PCAnywhere advertises that it's running.  I loaded it up on my cable
> > modem, and immediately saw a couple people in my node running PCAnywhere,
> > one without a password.  Handy feature.
>
>Handy for who?  A hacker?  ;-)  That's the last thing I want my system
>to do.  I don't want it to advertise its existence.  I want it to
>disappear.

That's my point exactly.  Handy, but not for the end user.

>See my earlier post about *nix v. win software models.  Exactly my
>point; PCAnywhere is easier to use but a security risk; VNC is more
>difficult to set up if you include the "properly configured DNS"
>setup....

I guess I count properly configuring your network and DNS as part of the
network design and OS install, not on any specific application.  My mail
server doesn't like operating without DNS either.