Bad Review of VNC at CNET

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:59:45 +0000

> I have Windows XP and i am trying to get vnc to work .. any suggestions?
it
> won't connect.. is there going to be a new VNC release for XP?

What do you mean by "won't connect"?  If it really can't connect, check your
TCP/IP settings.  You should be able to "telnet <machine>:5900" if your
TCP/IP settings  are correct, and see the text "RFB 003.003" or similar.

If you don't get any error message, or you get a Connection Closed, it's
probably because you are running WinVNC as an application and the PC is
locked, or because you are using Fast User Switching under XP, which I can't
currently support.

Finally, if it can't authenticate, make sure the Default User Properties
password is set correctly.

Cheers,

---
James "Wez" Weatherall