Suggestion for VNC diagnostic tool

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:19:45 +0000

Most of the time I have heard of connection problems they have been,
* Screen resolution or depth
* registry settings conflicting (password in current user and none in local
machine) Also with settings like ports and auth...

The biggest problem is when you run vnc for the first time it brings up the
current user settings. Then you set the password and people don't realize
that they need to set the default one to.
To get past this problem I was using a reg file to import the default
settings my company uses including a default password. I have since made a
setup.exe to do the install with our default settings, and add the default
password to the local machine. Now when we run vnc server for the first time
it just starts and we can connect with the default password. If I want to
change the default password, we then open the default settings and change
the password there, never changing the current user settings. Since
installing vnc this way, we have not had a server refuse connection since.
We also run it on terminal server, this is great and the only place my users
change the user settings. As you can run a server per term connection.

I love the product and think one thing should be changed, on first run to
open the default settings not the current user Settings.

P.S. I also love the advanced settings button that was included in the
latest TightVNC.

Steve Palocz