Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Nick Palmer nickp "at" ericwright.co.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:29:34 +0000

Errrr...I'm running it against two Poweredges on NT4 SP6a, one a duallie
PIII667, the other a dullie PIII 933, one's got 512MB, the other's got a
gig, both have had security hotfixes applied, works fine.  Also on a "we
aren't going to put our name on it just to be on the safe side" dual PII
350.  Also (sorry) on single CPU W2K Poweredge 1550 (forgot that one!).  I'd
expect registry entries in two places, actually, at least, including
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services, if you've got WinVNC
installed as a service - where are your rogue entries?
Also, do you have perms set on the logfile location, and if so, do they
allow the service account write permission to that location?
If you don't want to set up a VPN, don't.  Use SSH instead -
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshwin.html.

Just a thought.  I have to say, I have no complaints AT ALL.

Nick Palmer
IT Manager

individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and
confidential information. If you have received this message in
error or there are any problems, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your computer. The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is forbidden. The Eric Wright Group will not be liable
for direct, special, indirect or consequential damage as a result
of any malicious program being passed on, or arising from alteration
of the contents of this message by a third party.