Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Boivin, Patrice J BoivinP "at" mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:38:56 +0000

If VNC works so well, why can use it against one NT server, but not the
other?  VNC just refuses to authenticate clients for one of the machines.

The registry entries are identical in both servers, they were exported from
the first server and imported into the second.

The IP entries are all there.

The graphics resolution is identical on both NT servers.

Even when the proper parameters are in place, VNC does not generate a log.

Someone suggested that I use the default ports, when the documentation
implies that it is possible to use other ports.  We cannot use default ports
for VNC, we do not intend to set up a VPN for this one application.

At the same time, there are two places for registry entries, as if at some
point (due to lack of co-ordination between programmers?) someone decided to
place parameters in a different location, and the original location was
never cleaned up.

In my opinion this product is half-finished, does not have detailed
documentation, and does not come with dedicated support.

It may work well for the various UNIX platforms, but the NT version does not
work properly.

After attempting to make it work for three days, we finally gave up on it
and are recommending a commercial package to our client.

Of course you get what you pay for.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systhmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Rigion des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp "at" mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp "at" mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>