Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Dave Warren maillist "at" devilsplayground.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:01:57 +0000

> I think it is clear where this review falls. It is interesting how
'issues'
> are pointed out (having to know the ip is the best!), issues which exist
in
> competing products (how else do you connect with PCAnywhere? Voodoo? Magic
> wand?)

Nope, PCAnywhere advertises that it's running.  I loaded it up on my cable
modem, and immediately saw a couple people in my node running PCAnywhere,
one without a password.  Handy feature.

But then, on my local area network VNC can connect to the computer
"systems1" just by typing "systems1", even though it's assigned a dynamic
IP.  Hmmmmm.  Magic.  Or just using DNS properly.  One of the two, anyway.