Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Marius Zydyk marius "at" cadvision.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 05:36:31 +0000

Yes, this is a pretty bad, one-sided review, seems like the author set out
from the beginning with an agenda. In case you're wondering, this is a
pretty typical software review, direct links to only one competing package
are a clear indication of something happening behind the scenes.

Here's a software review template:
- will this product receive a positive review?
  - yes:
    - do we have incentives of any kind from the manufacturer?
      - yes:
        * reprint suggested pr material. the real review (if there is one)
          will be found between the lines.
      - no:
        * be sure to not make it look too good, provide lots of info on
          competing products. maybe mext time we'll get a free t-shirt.
  - no:
    - do we have incentives of any kind from the manufacturer?
      - yes:
        * hmm, make it humorous, provide more complaints about competing
          packages. mention the killer versions coming up rsn. the real
          review (if any) is between the lines.
      - no:
        * make stuff up. provide links to more profitable publishers.
          fud.

I think it is clear where this review falls. It is interesting how 'issues'
are pointed out (having to know the ip is the best!), issues which exist in
competing products (how else do you connect with PCAnywhere? Voodoo? Magic
wand?)

That said, lack of (friendly) documentation is a real problem, took me a
couple of tries to figure out how to run VNC as a service, but this is
addressed with paid versions of VNC, which come complete with support.