Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Andrew van der Stock ajv "at" greebo.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:22:53 +0000

There are problems with the review, but we should take the valid
criticisms on board.

Documentation could be improved, particularly for first time users.
Dialog boxes could be better from a purist HCI point of view
Security can be made easier (particularly the hidden AuthHost stuff)
Localization could be done properly

But all of the above proves the value of open source. When someone has
an itch to improve things, they can.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com] On Behalf Of Glenn Mabbutt
Sent: Tuesday, 18 September 2001 10:41
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: RE: Bad Review of VNC at CNET

Slight correction: PcAnywhere version 8 can talk to ver. 9 and vice
versa - I do it at work all the time (if pca hasn't crashed previously
;).

I think it would be useful if you put an emphasis on the "open" nature
of VNC - a benefit that allows continuous and rapid improvement to the
product, as well as interesting and useful "unofficial" add-ons, like
tight encoding, the wall-paper disabling stuff, and even Rudi de Vos'
recent adventures with a Win2k VNC display driver.

Thanks,

Glenn