Bad Review of VNC at CNET

James Pifer jamesvnclist "at" tnjinfl.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:31:19 +0000

Greg,

I'm with you . That review was very bad. It seemed as though the author had
blinders or was biased against VNC going into it.

One feature of VNC that I find I use a lot is the copying/pasting to the
clipboard. The fact that I can copy stuff from the machine I'm remote
controlling and and then paste on my local machine is very handy.

Maybe newer versions of the competitors products can do that, but I haven't
seen it.

Also being an open source software opens many other doors. In some ways it
can be negative, but in many others it's not. For example, there's a web
portal package called Stoneware (www.stone-ware.com) that someone has
written a very nice VNC hook for. You can log into your corporate web
portal, which you can do over SSL, and then it can proxy a VNC session to
your servers and desktops inside the network. Very slick.

Good luck with your response.

James