x0rfbserver

Ceri Hankey ccah "at" thegreen.co.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:36:11 +0000

I , too, have been trying to get kde to work with vnc and have come up with
the following conclusions...

1)    kde will NOT permit the SAME  user to use more than ONE graphic
interface.
2)    you can specify kde, SO LONG AS you are not already logged into the
system and using KDE!
3)    I think that this has to do with the DCOP mechanism (whatever that
is) - because it seems to be ther that it crashes.
4)    You MUST use => 24 bit colour for the VNC interface (8 or 16 bit just
do not work!)
5)    If you want to make life easy for yourself, use WindowMaker for the
VNC connection and kde for your REAL connection - this works well for me and
I can even run most (though I have not done an exhaustive test)  KDE applics
under WindowMaker.

Regards

Ceri Hankey

PS once you have run wmaker.inst,  just replace the line 'exec twm' or 'exec
startKDE' with 'exec wmaker' in $HOME/.vnc/xstartup. What I have done is to
make a symbolic link in .vnc which points to xstartkde, xstartWM or
xstarttwm in the smae directory. These three files are all the same except
for the exec line.

Good luck!