Massive unanswerable problem with CDE & VNC.

Glenn Lovitz lovitz "at" flex.net
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:59:51 +0000

Mike,

I went through all the same hassle awhile back. The problem is the way CDE
works.  You log in through an Xserver and there is only one surefire way to
get the dtlogin sequence correct -- place an entry into
/etc/dt/config/Xservers.  Note: the path shown /usr/local/vnc is my vnc
install path and is shared by all workstations through NFS.  The end of my
files looks like (each display entry is on one long line) those between the
dashed lines (note that :0 is the primary display) --
/etc/dt/config/Xservers:
     :0  Local local_uid "at" none root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0
     :5  Local local_uid "at" none root /bin/env
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/dt/bin:
/usr/local/vnc Xvnc :5 -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes -geometry 1152x900 -cc
3 -depth 8 -rfbwait
120000 -rfbauth /usr/local/vnc/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5905 -httpport 5805 -fp
tcp/localhost:7100
-alwaysshared

To set up the default session:
1) create a ".vnc" directory under /usr/local/vnc --  this will all be owned
by root (group sys)
2) set your HOME environment variable to /usr/local/vnc
3) from /usr/local/vnc ==> ./vncpasswd
4) create /usr/local/vnc/.vnc/xstartup, with permissions 755, containing
single line: #!/bin/sh

Also make sure you start fs with inetd (/etc/inetd.conf -- I use only the
tpc6 line as it is enabled otherwise use tcp line -- DO NOT USE BOTH) with :

#fs	stream   tcp   wait nobody /usr/openwin/lib/fs.auto   fs
fs	stream   tcp6  wait nobody /usr/openwin/lib/fs.auto   fs

Re-boot and you should get a correct dtlogin screen in your viewer or
browser.  Doing a "ps -ef" you should see an Xserver (dtgreet, etc) running
for (in my case) display 5!

Good luck,

Glenn