Bandwidth Limitation of VNC

Steven Venn svenn "at" dstl.gov.uk
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:46:52 +0000

We are trying to use Win VNC to view maps & info via a remote terminal, with
this degree of complexity of information the update is very slow.
Our VNC client needs to run on a Compaq IPAQ which kind of rules out
TightVNC.
I have tried both our Wireless network and wired network, with the client
and server being the only devices on the network.
The findings as to VNC seeming to be band limited apply between an IPAQ and
server over a wireless network and also a Laptop and server over a wired
network.
I am confident that the hardware I am using is not the limitation.
I appreciate that VNC is designed to work well over low bandwidth
connections, however what I would like to know is, what is it that limits
the VNC software from making the best available use of the bandwidth
available. Our computers are connected via a 10MB network and yet the peak
bandwidth used by VNC is about 11K p/sec.
Also does anybody know how we can modify the software to make best use of
the bandwidth available to the software.