Java viewer is faster than native Windows Viewer!?

Marius Zydyk marius "at" cadvision.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:08:18 +0000

The Java viewer reduces the display to 256 colours, presumably at the server
(what's the point of sending over all that extra colour data if you're just
gonna discard it). Now, I don't know what proportion of the data stream is
colour info, but this could account for some of the speed up. Another
possibility is that the Java viewer uses more optimized drawing routines,
which just makes the display appear more responsive.