Further: Bandwidth Limitations

Steven Venn svenn "at" dstl.gov.uk
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:45:59 +0000

I also failed to mention that our VNC client needs to run on a Compaq IPAQ
which kind of rules out TightVNC.
I have tried both our Wireless network and wired network, with the client
and server being the only devices on the network.
The findings as to VNC seeming to be band limited apply between and IPAQ and
server over a wireless network and also a Laptop and server over a wired
network.
I am confident that the hardware I am using is not the limitation.

(Thanks to those who have replied so far)

We are trying to use Win VNC to view maps & info via a remote terminal, with
this degree of complexity of information the update is very slow.
What I would like to know is what is it that limits the VNC software from
making the best available use of the bandwidth available. Our computers are
connected via a 10MB network and yet the peak bandwidth used by VNC is about
11K p/sec.
Also does anybody know how we can modify the software to make best use of
the bandwidth available to the software.