Bandwidth limitations

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:55:56 +0000

Have you tried TightVNC?  In particular, you may find the JPEG compression
helpful.  See http://vnc-tight.sourceforge.net/

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Venn [mailto:svenn "at" dstl.gov.uk]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 6:58 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Bandwidth limitations

We are trying to use Win VNC to view maps & info via a remote terminal, with
this degree of complexity of information the update is very slow.
What I would like to know is what is it that limits the VNC software from
making the best available use of the bandwidth available. Our computers are
connected via a 10MB network and yet the peak bandwidth used by VNC is about
11K p/sec.
Also does anybody know how we can modify the software to make best use of
the bandwidth available to the software.