Java viewer is faster than native Windows Viewer!?

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:51:08 +0000

Interesting.  I haven't noticed any excessive slowdowns under Windows 98 or
Windows 95, on my 900 MHz AMD Athalon or on my 75 MHz Toshiba laptop (though
the small screen on the latter makes using VNC a little tedious sometimes.)
I wonder if there are particular options you have to select for things to
slow down?

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Carlson [mailto:Eric "at" InvisibleRobot.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 9:26 AM
To: VNC List
Subject: re: Java viewer is faster than native Windows Viewer!?

  I noticed that the VNC Viewer 3.3.3r9 is very slow if connecting from
a Windows 98/ME machine to a Windows NT 4.0 server, but is fine from a
Win2K machine.

  I think the VNC Viewer has issues with Windows 98/ME because it seems
to slow down the whole computer, and I've tried it on at least two
vastly different computers.

  One computer was a Toshiba laptop P-III/500 with 196.Meg RAM and
Windows 98, and the other was a Compaq Presario desktop Celeron/633 with
320.Meg RAM and WinME. After installing Windows 2000 Pro on both of
these, the VNC Viewer is much faster, and the other apps don't slow down
when I am running VNC Viewer.

- Eric, http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/