Massive unanswerable problem with CDE & VNC (Running VNC on Solaris)

Edric Bulalacao egb "at" tonesoft.com
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:36:19 +0000

I've been able to run VNC on Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 on Sparc and Intel
platforms just fine.

Here are instructions on how to configure VNC to run on Solaris thru inetd:
Assumptions:
a) VNC binaries have been successfully created and placed in /usr/local/vnc
directory.
b) root access to machine to be able to edit services and inetd.conf files.
c) Support 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 @ 256 color depth (change it according
to your preference)
d) Ports 5950, 5951, 5952 are free (change it according to your preference).
e) Access control disabled (no VNC password is asked prior to connecting).
Remove -ac switch if you wish access control enabled.
f) No shared sessions allowed.  Remove -nevershared switch to allow shared
sessions.
g) When a user disconnects his VNC connection, terminate the X session.
Remove -once switch to allow continuation of sessions (not recommended for
security!).

1. Append the following lines to your /etc/inet/services file:

# VNC Server
vnc-640x480x8	5950/tcp
vnc-800x600x8	5951/tcp
vnc-1024x768x8	5952/tcp

2. Append the following lines to your /etc/inet/inetd.conf file:

# VNC Server
vnc-640x480x8 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/vnc/Xvnc-50 Xvnc
vnc-800x600x8 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/vnc/Xvnc-51 Xvnc
vnc-1024x768x8 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/vnc/Xvnc-52 Xvnc

3. Create these three script files and put them in /usr/local/vnc:
Xvnc-50
=======
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/vnc/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -fp
tcp/localhost:7100 -geometry 640x480 -depth 8 -ac -nevershared

Xvnc-51
=======
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/vnc/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -fp
tcp/localhost:7100 -geometry 800x600 -depth 8 -ac -nevershared

Xvnc-52
=======
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/vnc/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -fp
tcp/localhost:7100 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 8 -ac -nevershared

Note: Each script file is only 2 lines long.  The second line of text is
just too long to fit in the same line, but it should be in the same line.

4. Issue these commands to force inetd to re-read the new configuration (or
reboot machine):
ps -ef |grep inetd
kill -1 PID

Note: The first command will give you the process ID (PID) of inetd.  The
second command will issue a SIGHUP on the inetd process, where PID is the
process ID from the first command.

5. Use a VNC client and point it to the machine's IP address (or hostname)
and specify the desired port.
Example: myserver:5951 (will connect to machine at 800x600 resolution)

Done.