Win2K, VNC, ZoneAlarm

Andy Woo Andy.Woo "at" ClubZ.org
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:51:01 +0000

Hi,

I searched through the archives and saw that someone
was having reboot problems with Win2K and VNC. I also
noticed someone indicating that they were having
problems when VNC and ZoneAlarm were combined.

I have all three as part of my configuration, although
I don't have the 'reboot' problem (I have a different
one, since I blew away my machine, I replaced Win98
with Win2K, and I got a later version of VNC and
ZoneAlarm... now when I 'restart'... the machines
shuts down... goes to the dark screen... but, never
re-starts back up. Similarly.... before I could 'shut down',
and the machine would power itself down. Now I just
get the 'it is safe to turn off your machine', and
I have to physically turn the machine off).

I am running VNC as a service (so that if I
re-start, VNC is running and I can log in remotely. Or even
if a user has logged off.... VNC is still running, so I can
log back in).

So what happens is... since VNC is running
as a service, it starts before ZoneAlarm (which is an app, that
runs after a user logs into Win2K).  This causes
remote access via VNC to NOT WORK. It essentially times-out
or can't get in.  I had a friend try to log in... he kept
getting non-recognition.... and I could see his attempts
at port 5800 within my firewall software.

However, if I log in at the computer...
(hence, VNC was running as a service, then after log in,
ZoneAlarm is running) If I stop the service,
and re-start the VNC as an app, VNC remote works fine.

It seems like the sequence has to be ZoneAlarm (first), then VNC (second).
I'm guessing that app versus service is not important... ie. if I re-started
the VNC service instead of running the app., as long as it's started AFTER
ZoneAlarm, I'd still be ok.

Is anyone familiar with this ? Have a solution ?
I want to try to retain it as a service, so that I don't have to be logged
in at the computer, to get in remotely.

I even thought of giving up on that, and creating a batch file, that
could be run... so that ZoneAlarm starts first, then VNC... giving up
on the no-user-logged-in-but-can-still-log-in-remotely scenario.

I created a batch file with two lines.. the first line running ZoneAlarm,
the second running VNC... but when I run the batch file... after running
ZoneAlarm,... it never returns to continue to run VNC. I'm probably missing
something very simple and basic.

The file is pretty straigthforward :

"c:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
"c:\Program Files\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe" -run

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Andy