Hide local desktop or present a message

Green, Ian P green.ian.p "at" edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 06:02:29 +0000

Yes, I want the message only at the server side. I will most likely set it up to
disable local control. The idea of *removing* the power and reset buttons
appeals to me (if I could remotely power up or down the entire collection of
variously aged computers - it ain't going to happen). I can't imagine where I
could hide them (as an alternative), and I am certain that they will simply pull
the power plug out if they don't know what is going on. Most are not observant
enough to notice the tray icon going black. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Maton
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Sent: 9/11/2001 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: Hide local desktop or present a message

Well, the tray icon (assuming a winvnc server here) goes black...
Are you requesting a message that only shows up on the server's side
(i.e., not transferred to the client)?

You could always set it up to disable local control (keyboard and mouse)
while you're connected.  And hide the power/reset buttons.
<SNIP>

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage
or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting
directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is
limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions
expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the
Department of Education Employment and Training.